Waterworks Visual Arts Center (WVAC) in partnership with Carolina Bohemian Jam will present a special juried group exhibition in celebration of Woodstock’s golden anniversary, Carolina Bohemian Jam: The Ultimate Hippie Tribute. Artists from all over North Carolina are invited to apply. There is NO fee to enter. Selected artists for this show will have a second opportunity to exhibit at WVAC following the festival, September 7, 2019-February 1, 2020; see details, page 3 **.
Exhibition Venue I: Rowan County Fairgrounds
Exhibition Dates: August 15-18, 2019
Artists’ Reception: Thursday, August 15, 2019, 6-8 pm
Work Medium: all 2-D and 3-D media accepted, including audio and video installation and sculpture
Eligibility: Participants must be at least 18 years old. Work must be original and inspired by Woodstock—Love, Peace & Music.
Requirements: All work must be original and created by the artist submitting work. No copies, mechanical reproductions, molds or kit work will be accepted. Entries must be able to fit through exhibition site doorway (85″ x 71″) and weigh no more than 150lbs. Waterworks Visual Arts Center reserves the right to exclude work due to size or special requirements.
- Each artist may enter up to three works for consideration
- Entries may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail on CD/DVD (non-returnable) to:
Waterworks Visual Arts Center
123 E. Liberty Street
Salisbury NC 28144
Attn: Carolina Bohemian Jam
- All entries must include the following information:
- Artist’s statement illustrating how your work connects to the theme
- Up-to-date personal biographical résumé / CV
- Artist’s name, title, medium, size, and date of each piece listed on each image file and/or audio and video file
- Still images must be sent in high-resolution JPEG format (600dpi/800 KB-2 MB). 1 image each 2-D work (do not include frame); 2 images each 3-D work (one full shot and one detail)
- Audio should be submitted as separate MP3 files. Each track should be no longer than 2 minutes. Please note: Artists with accepted video pieces will be required to supply necessary display equipment.
- Video samples must be edited to no longer than 2-minute excerpts. It is strongly preferred that video & audio artists submit their work online through clips or URL addresses to online sharing formats like YouTube or Dropbox. Videos submitted as uploaded files should be submitted as QuickTime files whose width is no larger than 720px and file size is no larger than 10MB
- Completed ENTRY FORM.
Entry Deadline: On or before April 30, 2019
Selection Process: Up to three entries may be submitted for consideration. A panel of jurors will review all entries and select works for inclusion in the show.
Jury: Up to five individuals will serve as jurors. Jurors will include representatives from the host organization (Waterworks Visual Arts Center), the Carolina Bohemian Jam board, professional artist community, and the community at large.
Notification of Artists: Artists will be notified of acceptance into the show via email by May 30, 2019. Please do NOT contact the museum to inquire about your submission.
SELECTED ARTIST’S WORK
Preparation of Selected Work/s:
- 2-D works must not exceed 85” x 71” (including frame) or weigh more than 50 lbs.
- All works must be dry, properly wired, and ready to hang with professional style gallery framing and materials. See acceptable professional style framing guidelines.
- Gallery wraps must have neatly painted edges and sides. Canvases with exposed stapled sides will not be accepted
- 3-D works must not exceed 4’h x 4’w x 4’d in size or total weight of 150lbs.
- Any works not meeting the size and preparation requirements will automatically be eliminated.
Delivery of Work: Entries can be hand-delivered to the gallery or mailed. Hand-deliveries will be accepted on August 8 and 9, 2019 between the hours of 10am-4pm. Work will be received during these hours only.
Works shipped to WVAC must arrive on or before August 8, 2019, no exceptions. Artists are responsible for all costs associated with the delivery and return of art pieces. Shipped work must include prepaid return postage and returnable container. Please NO PACKING PEANUTS!
Artwork submitted on behalf of an artist requires written and signed authorization from the artist. View WVAC’s exhibition policy.
**EXHIBITION OPPORTUNITY FOR SELECTED ARTISTS
AT WATERWORKS VISUAL ARTS CENTER – Fall 2019
Exhibition Venue II: Waterworks Visual Arts Center
Exhibition Dates: September 7, 2019-February 1, 2020
Public Opening Reception: September 13, 2019, 6-8 pm
Transportation of Selected Artwork: Following the special 3-day Carolina Bohemian Jam exhibition at the Rowan County Fairgrounds, all artwork pieces will be transported to the Waterworks Visual Arts Center for the museum’s fall/winter exhibition period.
Pick-Up of Work: Artists are responsible for picking up exhibited works one week following the close of the exhibition or by February 21, 2020. Please call ahead of time to make arrangements with the museum to pick up work. Hours for pick up are weekdays (Monday-Friday), 10am-4pm.
Sale of Works: Waterworks does not participate in or receive commission from the sale of artwork. However, Waterworks will provide artist’s contact information to interested collectors. Any work sold by artist during the show, must remain on display for the length of the exhibition. The artist is responsible for collecting money and arranging delivery of work sold following the exhibition. Waterworks cannot allow storage of works for pick-up.
Liability: The Waterworks Visual Arts Center exercises the utmost care of and respect for all objects on loan. Objects are handled only by WVAC agents or trained art handlers under the supervision of WVAC staff. Evidence of damage at the time of receipt or while in WVAC's custody will be reported immediately to the artist/lender. The artist/lender will be requested to provide written authorization for any alteration or repair.
Insurance is carried by Waterworks Visual Arts Center to provide coverage for individual art objects on exhibit in the Waterworks facility subject to normal insurance industry exclusions. While Waterworks’ personnel will exercise all reasonable care in the handling, hanging, and storage of paintings and art objects, it can only assume responsibility for damage or loss to the extent that insurance coverage is provided, and the artist expressly holds the Waterworks harmless for any damage or loss which is not covered by insurance.
Marketing and Publicity: An exhibition artists’ card will be created representing multiple artists and selected images. Each artist will receive 25 cards for personal distribution. Exhibiting artists will be recognized in all marketing media before and during the exhibition period.
About Waterworks Visual Arts Center
The Waterworks Visual Arts Center is a not-for-profit, noncollecting visual arts museum located in Salisbury, North Carolina. Founded in 1959, it is one of only twelve (12) nationally accredited art museums in North Carolina.
Now celebrating 60 years, Waterworks strives to be a leader and innovator in the exhibition of art and in museum education. Creative and expressive artwork from established and emerging regional and local artists are featured in three annual rotating exhibitions. The museum is open free of charge six days a week. For more information visit: www.waterworks.org
About Carolina Bohemian Jam
The Carolina Bohemian Jam is the must-see festival is the Carolinas’ celebration to commemorate the era of music that would influence generations to come. The celebration will be held August 16-18, 2019 at the Rowan County Fairgrounds in Salisbury, North Carolina. Live music on multiple stages will feature tribute bands from the 1960s and 1970s, such as The Who, Credence Clearwater Revival, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane and more, as well as local musicians. Arts and craft vendors will feature original handmade and one-of-a-kind creations along with a special juried art exhibition curated by Waterworks Visual Arts Center.
This is a ticketed event. For more information visit www.CarolinaBohemianJam.com